Started in the summer of 2018 through a partnership with Southwest Open School (SWOS), our Ag Immersion Program provides local high school students the opportunity to engage in a 4-week hands-on learning experience at Fozzie’s Farm and around the region.
Students learn valuable leadership and teambuilding skills, explore local farms and ranches, learn a variety of agricultural knowledge, and gain insight into career opportunities.
For full participation, students receive a weekly stipend of $125 and may be eligible to earn school credit.
Mondays through Thursdays
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
June 5-8, 12-15, 19-22, 26-29
Meet each day at Southwest Open School (SWOS) campus at 401 N. Dolores Road, Cortez CO 81321 at 8:00 AM, travel to Fozzie’s Farm at 19760 Road W, Lewis CO 81327, and return to SWOS campus by 4:00 PM; frequent field trips to other regional farms TBD.
Up to 12 local high school students will be chosen to participate based on a completed application
Community Programs Director
Montezuma Land Conservancy
Agriculture Immersion Program Director
What to expect:
- Meet promptly at 8:00 AM, travel to Fozzie’s Farm on the SWOS activity bus
- Work on projects at Fozzie’s Farm and/or SWOS campus as needed
- Travel to various agriculture sites for service-learning, return to SWOS campus by 4:00 PM
- $125 stipend for each week of full attendance 8:00-4:00, Monday through Thursday
- .25 school credits per 30 hours of participation (up to 1 full credit possible) for SWOS students; credit at other schools to be determined with the administration
- Hands-on learning opportunities involving regenerative agriculture, permaculture, holistic management, research, land/water/soil conservation, wildlife, forestry, orchard care, livestock management, irrigation techniques, weed control, cover crops, and careers in related fields.
What to bring:
- Positive attitude and willingness to work hard and be engaged
- Re-usable water bottle
- Dress appropriately for outside physical labor:
- Close-toed shoes or boots, no sandals
- Long pants, long sleeves
- Hat, sunglasses
- Fozzie’s Farm will provide sunscreen, work gloves, drinking water, healthy lunches, and snacks