June 6-9, 13-16, 20-23, 27-30; 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Mondays through Thursdays.
Meet each day at South West Open School (SWOS) campus at 401 N. Dolores Road, Cortez CO
81321 at 8:00 AM, travel to Fozzie’s Farm at 19760 Road W, Lewis CO 81327, and return to SWOS
campus by 4:00 PM; frequent field trips to other regional farms tbd.
- Jay Loschert, Community Programs Director, Montezuma Land Conservancy, firstname.lastname@example.org 970-516-0304 (o), 970-799-1475 (c).
- Devyn Lacey, Agriculture Immersion Program Director, email@example.com
- Up to 12 local high school students will be chosen to participate based on a completed
What to Expect:
- meet promptly at 8:00 AM, travel to Fozzie’s Farm on the SWOS activity bus
- work on projects at Fozzie’s Farm and/or SWOS campus as needed
- travel to various agriculture sites for service-learning, return to SWOS campus by 4:00 PM
- $120 stipend for each week of full attendance 8:00-4:00, Monday through Thursday
- 0.25 school credits per 30 hours of participation (up to 1 full credit possible)
- hands-on learning opportunities involving regenerative agriculture, permaculture, holistic
management, research, land/water/soil conservation, wildlife, forestry, orchard care, livestock
management, irrigation techniques, weed control, cover crops, and careers in related fields.
What to Bring:
- positive attitude and willingness to work hard and be engaged
- re-usable water bottle
- dress appropriately for outside physical labor:
- close-toed shoes or boots, no sandals
- long pants, long sleeves
- hat, sunglasses
- Fozzie’s Farm will provide sunscreen, work gloves, drinking water, healthy lunch and snacks